Special Notice Concerning In Person Services at the Uganda Embassy, Washington, DC Passport Issuance Center
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and as per Federal Guidelines for staff safety and to do our part in containing the spread of the outbreak, with effect from Wednesday 18th March, 2020 all Embassy Staff will be working from home. However, we are receiving submissions of application forms by mail for onward transmission to Kampala and dispatch of new passports from Kampala. Please find a list of our staff for urgent help here . (The Embassy will be closed to the public on Ugandan and United States Public Holidays) For Emergencies, please call (202)726-7100 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Applicants in North America, South America and the Caribbean have the option to apply and make online payments through the newly introduced website, then attach the printed receipt to your application documents and mail to the Embassy with a written request for renewal to the Director of Citizenship and Immigration Control.The Consular Section of the Embassy is CURRENTLY not offering any in-person interviews for passport renewals but has introduced a Passport Interview Record Form in place of the in-person interview. You may mail in your application after carefully reading the instructions below.
The Uganda Embassy will NO LONGER RECEIVE Money Order payments for Passports in the DC Issuing Center. All Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration control (DCIC) services are paid for in any bank that collects Non Tax Revenue for the Uganda Revenue Authority.
In light of these changes, the Embassy wishes to inform the general public interim adjustments in our service provision as follows:
- Please DO NOT pay for multiple passports under the same name even if the passports belong to a family or a group. The name of each individual applicant should appear on the URA receipt. Please process payment for each individual's passport separately. This includes renewal applications for minors.
- Please note that due to reduced operations, possible disruptions and logistical challenges in expedited passport service, the turn-around time for passport renewal is approximately 14 days. Passports are printed in the Kampala Passport processing Center and not at the Embassy; therefore applicants are advised to submit their applications well in advance of travel to allow for any delays in shipping and handling.
- Applicants are requested NOT to select Expedited payment on the schedule, as the Embassy cannot guarantee that you will receive your passport in the allotted 48 hours. Before you proceed please consult the new passport schedule here.
- Applicants for Emergency Travel Documents should select "Certificate of Identity" and pay the assessed UGX 30,000. However in the case of lost or stolen passports, when applying for a replacement passport, a "fine for lost passport" will have to be paid in addition to regular passport fees of UGX 250,000.
- Please note: If you have lost your passport or it is damaged and you are applying for a replacement you must separately pay the assessed "fine for lost passport" fee of UGX 100,000 in addition to the regular passport fees then submit both receipts with your application. "Lost passport" applicants and "expedited process" applicants will have to repeat the same steps under 'Tax head name' in making those additional payments.
- Applicants MUST ensure that the courier fees are included along with the passport application fees.
INTERIM REQUIREMENTS FOR PASSPORT RENEWAL
- Proceed to Online Passport Application
- Once the application and payments are complete,print the copy showing a nine digit Application I. D number ( e.g. W000123456)
- Print your receipts after making online payment. If you have a third party physically processing your application, in Kampala, the fee assessment can also be made before making an over the counter payment. This will not only save you time, but it will also help to know the exact amount that you need to pay for the service.
- Fill out and complete the Passport Interview Record Form (Note: Try using your smart phone or tablet when filling out the e-form for best results.)
- Mail all the above documents to the Embassy along with the following documents;
- 2 passport photos.
- Current old passport (to be retained at the Embassy)
- Copy of national I.D. or NIRA letter (If available)
- Copy of the recommender's Ugandan national I.D.
- Printed-out of payment receipts
- Residential/Student/Driving license I.D. (If available)
- Include a pre-paid self-addressed return envelope in packet (EXPRESS or PRIORITY mail with a tracking number)
- Use EXPRESS or PRIORITY mail with a tracking number
6. Applicants are advised to verify and ensure that all requirements have been fulfilled. This will facilitate the expeditious processing of applications.
7. Avail the Embassy a reliable call-back number in case of any additional information that may be required.
8. Applicants may be requested for additional supporting documentation where necessary.
9. Please do not book your travel until you have a valid passport.
To help you keep track of what you need, click here to download your Passport Renewal Checklist