Error message

Deprecated function: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in include_once() (line 20 of /home/adm1984/public_html/includes/

Frequntly Asked Questions




1.     Q: Can I use an Emergency travel document to travel to any other country besides Uganda?

A:  Emergency travel documents are one way travel documents used in lieu of a passport. An Emergency Travel Document can only be used to travel to Uganda. In order to leave Uganda and return to the US, South America, Canada or the Carribbean, you will need to process a replacement passport before exiting Uganda. Click here for passport application. 

2.     QHow long does it take for the Embassy to process an Emergency travel document?

A: It takes the Embassy 2 Business days to process an Emergency travel document. Please make sure that all the supporting documents listed on the Embassy website are mailed in. 


*        Completed Application Form G for Ugandan travel document

*        A Letter explaining why the applicant does not possess a valid Ugandan passport

*        Two (2) colored passport-size photographs

*        US$50.00 processing fee. Only Money Orders or cashier's checks are accepted.

*        A travel itinerary or a copy of the applicant's ticket

*        A self-addressed priority or overnight/express return envelope (the Embassy will not send documents by regular mail)




The Republic of Uganda - Embassy of the Republic of Uganda, Washington DC - USA


  1. 1.     Q: Does the Embassy process dual citizenship?

         A:No. Dual citizenship is processed at the Ministry of internal Affairsin Uganda. Click here for information on processing your dual citizenship.


  1. Q: if I have a passport but no birth certificate can I still apply for a National ID?

A:  No. in order to process your national id, you should first process your birth certificate to give sufficient proof that you are a citizen of Uganda. Read more about how to acquire a Ugandan Birth certificate here (create link)



  1. 2.     Q: My parents are deceased, how can I process a national identification card without attaching the copies of their identification cards?

A: If your parents are deceased, please present your birth certificate, passport and any other supporting documents to be able to substantiate your application. The other documents that may be accepted include:

  • Copies of academic transcripts
  • A copy of baptism card


  1. Q : How long does it take for the identification cards to be processed

A: The Embassy captures your data and forwards it to the National identification and Registration Authority in Kampala. Once the NIRA processes the data and verifies it, the cards are made and sent to the Embassy. The Embassy then posts the list of the names of the printed identification cards on the Embassy website. This process can take up to 3 months.

  1. 4.     Q : If I registered for my National identification card in Uganda, can it be mailed to me here in the US

    A: No, you have to collect your identification card from the registration   center where your data was captured.

  1. 5.     Q: I registered for my ID card at the Embassy in Washington DC. Once my identification card has been processed, and sent to the Uganda Embassy. Can it mailed to my home address?

             A: No you will need to appear in person to pick up your   identification card as you are required to submit your biometric finger prints as proof of identity.

  1. Q: Can I walk in to the Embassy and register for my national identification card at any time?

              A: Registration is strictly done on appointment. Click here to request an appointment ………………….. (create online diary)

  1. Q: How much does it cost to register for a National identification card?

              A: Registration for your first National identification card is FREE of charge. Subsequent issuances come at a fee. Click here to view statutory fees for National ID cards. (create link)  


  1. 8.     Q: Are children eligible to get National identification cards?

                 A: Children below the age of 18 years are not eligible to acquire National identification cards but can be registered. For a child to be eligible to register, both or one of the parents have to have copies of their National identification cards.

  1. 9.     If I attain the age of 18 years, how do I go about applying for a National Identity card?


Where a person attains the age of 18 years, he/she should within ninety (90) days of turning eighteen years apply for a National Identity card.


  • He/she should state his/her NIN issued to them after their application for registration as a citizen has been approved.
  • Such a person shall appear in person before a registration officer and shall have all bio-data captured especially all bio-metrics and face image.
  • After satisfying the above mentioned requirements, such a person shall be issued with a National Identity Card.


  1. 10.            When and where do I get registered if I live outside Uganda? Can I register online or at our nearest Embassy?

A: Registration cannot be carried out online. Any citizen of Uganda who lives in North or South America and the Caribbean and cannot travel to Uganda, must appear in person to be registered as a citizen of Uganda at the Uganda Embassy in Washington DC. You may request an appointment here (create online appointment diary link here).  In preparation for registration, applicants are requested to read the terms and conditions in advance and carry all relevant documents for your enrollment interview. Click here to view checklist of relevant documents (link to checklist on page 9 NATIONAL ID REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS FOR FRESH APPLICANTS) and here (link to HOW TO REGISTER on page 10)


  1. 11.            Q:  If I lose my identification card, can I come to the Embassy for a replacement?

            A: Yes, the Embassy can process a replacement ID card. All citizens are cautioned to keep their National ID cards in a safe place.

You will need

  1. A replacement form 11. (create link) police report.

  1. A copy or record of the missing or mutilated/damaged ID
  2. A receipt of UGX 50, 000 paid at authorized bank in Uganda (DTB)


12. Q: If my identification card that was issued in Uganda has an error, can it be corrected at the Embassy?

A: No, this process can only be done in Uganda. Please ensure that you verify all details on your new Uganda National ID before you sign for it. If there are any errors, notify the registration officer and DO NOT sign for the card or take it away. If you do sign for the card, a replacement fee will be levied on you in Kampala when you apply for correction. Click here to download an error notification form: (create link)


  1. 13.               Q: How do I know when my identification card is ready for pick up?

   A: You are advised to check the Embassy website regularly for updates but allow for 90 days of processing before you begin to check for updates.   (create link)




  1. 1.     Q: Can I use an Emergency travel document to travel to any other country besides Uganda?

A:  Emergency travel documents are one way travel documents used in lieu of a passport. An Emergency Travel Document can only be used to travel to Uganda. In order to leave Uganda and return to the US, South America, Canada or the Carribbean, you will need to process a replacement passport before exiting Uganda. Click here for passport application.


  1. 2.     Q: How long does it take for the Embassy to process an Emergency travel document?

A: It takes the Embassy 2 Business days to process an Emergency travel document. Please make sure that all the supporting documents listed on the Embassy website are mailed in.


  • Completed Application Form G for Ugandan travel document
  • A Letter explaining why the applicant does not possess a valid Ugandan passport
  • Two (2) colored passport-size photographs
  • US$50.00 processing fee. Only Money Orders or cashier’s checks are accepted.
  • A travel itinerary or a copy of the applicant’s ticket
  • A self-addressed priority or overnight/express return envelope (the Embassy will not send documents by regular mail)



  1. 1.     Q: Why was this new passport introduced?

A: During 17th ordinary Summit of the East African Community Heads of State Summit in Arusha on 2nd March 2016, the EAC Heads of State launched the new international East African Community E-passport and directed that commencement of its issuance takes effect from 1st January, 2017; and implement the phase out programme for the current East African and national passports from 1st January, 2017 to 31st December, 2018. The Heads of State further directed partner states to undertake awareness creation programmes and other continuous outreach programmes. The new EAC e-passport is a fully digitised document incorporating biometric security, making it fully compliant with international best practises, and therefore accepted at border controls all over the world. This is the departure from the old EAC Passport which was usable within the EAC only. Click here to learn more about the new EAC-Passport. (create link to THE NEW EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY E- PASSPORTS page 1)


  1. 2.     Q: When will the Embassy start issuing the new East African Community E-passports?

A:  The new E-Passports are currently only issued in Kampala, Uganda until further notice. However the Department of Immigration in Kampala is working round the clock to roll the service out to all our passport processing centers around the world.


  1. 3.     Q: My current machine-readable passport is still valid can I use it for travel?

A: The deadline to use the old passport is 1st January 2021 when all the old passports will be recalled to be replaced by the East African Community electronic passports. Until, then, you may use your passport.

  1. 4.     Q: Are there new requirements for passport renewal?

A: Yes there are. All new Passport applications have an additional requirement for information on your Uganda National Identification Card. The Directorate of Immigration and Citizenship Control has introduced a new Form G to replace the previous forms A and B. Click here to learn more about the National ID and to download Form G


  1. 5.     Does the Embassy continue to receive applications for onward transmission to Kampala?

A: No. Until further notice, all applicants must process their applications directly with the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Kampala.

  1. 6.     Q: I live in the North America, South America and the Caribbean, I do not have a National ID and cannot travel to Uganda for passport renewal. How can the Embassy assist me?

A: Even though the Embassy is not renewing/issuing passports we are processing recommendation letters for applicants to send in with your paperwork to the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Uganda. Applicants are advised to send a formal request for a Passport Application Recommendation Letter, by email to the Consular Officer, Uganda Embassy, Washington DC ……….. and attach the following supporting documents.

  • A completed passport application FORM G
  • Scanned copies of Pages 45 and 47 of your Uganda passport
  • A copy of your driver’s license and/or any other official documents that can serve as proof of residency and address e.g. A bank statement, a utility bill etc.
  • Include a reliable call-back number in your email

The Embassy will prepare a letter of recommendation and a scanned soft copy will be emailed to you. You can then send all your paperwork and your old passport together with the Embassy letter via courier to a trusted third party who will manually submit your paperwork to the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Uganda on your behalf.

Once an applicant has a letter of recommendation/cover letter from the Embassy, they will not be required by the Ministry of internal Affairs in Uganda to appear in person or to provide their National Identification card if they have not yet applied for one.

  1. 7.     Q: I became a US citizen; can I apply for a Ugandan passport?

A: No. Once an applicant acquires US citizenship, they will need to first apply for Dual citizenship once they receive a certificate then they will be able to apply for a Ugandan passport.


  1. 8.     Q: What is the cost to process the new EAC E-passport in Uganda?

A:  Ordinary passport costs 250,000 shillings

     Express service at 150,000 shillings

     Official/service passport cost 400,000 shillings

     Diplomatic passport cost 500,000 shillings

     Expedited processing fees 150,000 shillings

     Certification of passports 30,000 shillings

     Courier service for applicants abroad 10,000 shillings

       Please click here for statutory passport fees schedule (create link to section on COST REVISION on page 6)


  1. 9.     Q: How long does it take to process a passport in Uganda?

A: It takes 2 weeks to process a passport with the regular fees and 2-5 business days for an expedited process. For clients in the diaspora, this does not include time taken for shipping and handling to Kampala and from Kampala. Note: To expedite the process of a passport, an applicant will have to pay the regular fee of 250,000 Uganda shillings plus the 150,000 shillings. All fees are paid in the bank. Click here for information on online payments to the Uganda Revenue Authority (create link to HOW TO MAKE AN ONLINE PAYMENT FOR YOUR PASSPORT RENEWAL/REPLACEMENT/CERTIFICATE OF IDENTITY (EMERGENCY TRAVEL DOCUMENT on page 9)



  1. Q: How can I apply for a visa to travel to Uganda?

A:   Please visit the website www.

  1. Q: Can a visa still be obtained upon arrival in Uganda?

A: No. You must first apply online and once your visa is approved you can either come to the Embassy to have it personalized or you can travel and have it personalized at the point of arrival in Uganda e.g. the Entebbe airport depending on where you are located in the US.

  1. 3.     Q: I am having trouble paying online; can I make a payment upon arrival?

A: No, payment is part of the approval process unless the visa is paid for, it cannot be approved. Click here to view FAQs about the E-visa payment system.


  1. Q: I was not able to save my application identification number how can I retrieve it?

A: Kindly send an email to the Embassy / with your passport number, date of birth and call-back number, and you will receive a call back as soon as possible.

  1. Q: I am having a problem uploading my documents on the E-visa system, how do I fix this?

A:   This is due to the file size of the document. Please reduce the size. If you are having trouble with PDF format please convert them to JPEG and try uploading again. Click here for additional answers to other questions about E-visas.


  1. Q: How long does it take for a visa to be approved online?

A: It takes 7 days. You are encouraged to submit your E-visa applications 30 days in advance to allow for any delays or eventualities.


  1. 7.     Q: Do I apply online and send my documents to the Embassy?

A: No, the entire visa application process takes place online. Once submitted, it will be approved, denied, or deferred for more information. If approved, please download the approval letter (travel authorization) and carry it with you to the airport. If deferred, you will be requested to upload additional information online. Your application will then be reviewed again.

  1. 8.     Q:   My doctor says I should not get the yellow fever vaccination/ there is a shortage of the vaccine, but the online application does not let me proceed without it.

A:   You may attach a doctor's note detailing any medical issues you may be experiencing with the vaccine

  1. Q:  I applied online and I will be traveling soon but the visa is still not   approved. Can I still travel to Uganda with just my application identification number?

A: Yes applicants can still travel with the approval letter; however visas should be applied for a month before the expected date of travel to allow for visa processing delays. In case of an emergency trip to Uganda, applicants are advised to notify by contacting the Embassy Phone: 202 726 7100 Email: info

  1. 10.                        Q: How do I check the status of my visa application?

A: Please make sure you have your application identification number, passport number and date of birth ready: click 'Applications', 'manage my applications', fill out your information and select “check status of my application”